Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Marijuana



I brought this up in my last post and I thought I would address it broadly. So here goes-my thoughts on marijuana.
I think it should be legalizes, packaged, sold and taxed. I have many reasons why
1.       It is a gateway drug because everyone makes it seem so much worse than it is. People take it and think “that was not as bad as I thought” and think that they were lied to about other drugs. Also with pot being illegal that means people have contact with the dealer. If pot were sold like cigarettes than it would never be a gateway drug and many people would not ever try any harsher drugs-thus drug prevention.
2.       People are going to smoke it. Why not make a profit for the US gov as opposed to privet prison companies. When you put people away for possession of pot you hurt the economy. Not only do they take funding away from the government (food, clothing, etc. While in prison) but they are not making money to spend in the economy and get it flowing. Also when they get out of jail it is hard to get a job, thus taking more money out of the economy.
3.       It would drastically reduce cartel business in the US; most of what they ship in now is pot.
4.       JOB CREATION. Think about it. You will need people to grow it, to package it, to sell it, to take care of all the organization in-between. Think about it. That is a huge boost in jobs!
5.       It is better for your body than cigarettes and alcohol. We have already tried prohibition, it did not work. What logic is there then in keeping something that does less damage illegal? No one has ever killed anyone or abused anyone on pot.
6.       Save resources for other needs. Like I said people who are used to get people smoking pot can be better used looking for illegal guns, or actually harmful drugs
The way I see it the benefits of legalizing pot are through the roof! With the economic benefits alone this would boost the standard of living in the US so much.
Please don’t hesitate to tell me your thoughts in the comment box or email me at kristylnparker@gmail.com if you would like.
Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment