Wednesday, April 3, 2013

gun controll


I was at school today when my “little brother” Warren brought up gun control. Now Warren is a freshman who is very close to me, though we are not related, and he made me realize how under developed my generations knowledge on gun control is. I thought I would take the time today to talk about my ideals on what gun control should be.
First I feel like anything other than a hunting rifle or a hand gun should not be allowed for civilian use, EVER. No exceptions. A well-organized militia does not mean letting civilians walk around with guns that can kill 100 people with the squeeze of a trigger. That is just stupid. The government is not going to rise up and kill you-and if that’s you argument for automatic weapons than by that logic might as well just give American’s the right to nuclear weapons and bombs while we are at it. I get some people want to hunt, that’s half my family. And I understand that a gun can make people feel safer and can save their life in self-defense. Though an argument against that is more people are shot who own a gun than those without a gun. And often times it is their own gun that does them in, just something to think about that’s all.
Second point in my gun control plan, intense and thorough back ground checks and mental evaluations for those who wish to own a gun. And anyone who protests this must be crazy or have something to hide. I have no idea how people have come to think it is wrong to want to back ground check someone who wishes to own a weapon that can kill from a distance and has the potential to kill and wound people quickly. (If anyone can logically explain this please do comment) sorry but I just don’t want crazy people with a history of violence owning something like that. If makes me feel unsafe.
Third point is going to hit a nerve. I think you should have to be 21 to own a gun. As an 18 year old I can tell you there are times where my hormones and emotions make me irrational. I know people, a lot of people, who go through the same thing. Now I am not saying we are to immature for a gun, not at all, I think 18 year olds often are not given credit for their maturity. I am saying we are too chemically imbalanced to be trusted 100% of the time with a gun. I mean it is illegal on most college campuses anyway so that takes care of most of the 18-21 year olds.
Ok and my last point is about the black marked. I feel the government should legalize pot and other non-harmful things they waist there money hunting down. Raise taxes on guns, use those taxes to lance a full war on guns, just like the war on drugs, though hopefully more effective. The argument that “oh they will get guns illegally” should not be valid. Those seeking out automatic weapons should be treated like terrorists trying to get bombs.
They say “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” to answer I say “but guns sure help.”  A case study of my argument is this: the day of the New Town elementary school shootings two elementary were attacked. The one in New Town was attacked with a gun and 23 people died, most of them children. In Japan an attacker entered an elementary school armed with a knife. He hurt a few but the death count was 0.
No matter how many school shooting we have no one fixes the issue. I have a little sister in elementary school and I am in high school myself. And every day I wake up and hope that it is not a day that someone crazy with an automatic weapon does not open fire at a school. Every time I go to the movies and see that safety first add they put in I wonder if there will be a repeat of the Dark Knight shootings. You never know. With lax gun laws the likely hood is high. I would like to feel safe in school again.
Please don’t hesitate to tell me your thoughts in the comment box or email me at kristylnparker@gmail.com if you would like.
Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment